Saturday, February 21, 2015

Delhi 2.0 Day 1

Yes--Delhi 2.0. WHAT?!?! I know I am thinking that same thing. We didn't want Jake going by himself so here I am again. And it doesn't suck at all. I am one lucky and thankful girl. It's all pretty unreal to me.


Today involved a lot of traveling, but because I got an hour of sleep last night I was okay with it. In the end, travel=sleeping time. Hallelujah!! Our flight was quick, our baggage pick up was quicker and our driver and Shaun were waiting for us at the airport. Shaun has been doing some work in North India and it worked out that we all drove down to Jaipur together. Benson is sick so he had to stay behind today but hopefully he will be able to feel better and join us at the end of the trip.

We stopped at a yummy little restaurant for lunch, where I all of a sudden realized that I am now able to handle and tear my naan bread entirely with my right hand. It use to be that I had to sneak the left hand in for reinforcement ever now and then but somewhere (lately I think) I’ve broken free of my left hand training wheels and can do it all on my own now. I was one proud American. I’ve also been 95% successful in tying my sarees all by myself lately too. It figures that in the last couple of months I am here all the little things I have been working on are finally coming together huh? The other highlight from lunch was this super cool lamp. 


They had a few of them around the restaurant and Shaun was making fun of me for liking them so much but oh well-I liked them anyway. They were so colorful and detailed and it looked like every single piece had been placed by hand.

Once we got to Jaipur Shaun left to do his thing and then Jake and I left to do ours. Our thing included dropping our stuff off at the hotel—where Jake and I will be sharing a bed by the way, which is a little strange but whatever. The view out of our window is this:


and this God is standing watch in the parking lot of our hotel so I think we'll be just fine. 


I knew I was back in Northern India when I saw this: 


Children riding camels lead by children-that normal right? 

After ditching our bags we went to the Astrology Observatory. Seeing it for the second time was still pretty cool. In some ways I think I picked up on a few things that I missed the first time I came.







After the Observatory we headed to the City Palace. I didn’t see this place last time I was here and man I missed out! The Royal family of Jaipur have given up some of their estate which has been turned into a museum that pretty much showcases themselves. I loved seeing the different sections, i.e. weapons section, clothing section, hat section, etc. I have toured other palaces before, but this one was different because it has fairly “recent” items on display from a royal family that still exists/rules…..in a way. The current King is a 17 years old boy and I don’t really know how much say he really has in how things happen around here but still, you get the point.






We visited a wing where the royal artists had their shops set up. You could watch their demonstrations and listen to their royal artist lineage—which went pretty far back for some of them. Of course they wanted to sell you their stuff but even then they weren’t as pushy as some vendors. It was mostly just fascinating.






Another part of the palace was being set up for a wedding that is happening later on tonight and it was FANCY!!! Our tour guide told us that it costs 1 millions Lakhs (I'm not sure of how many dollars that converts to but I know it is a lot) to simply rent this part of the palace and these guys had huge catering tables and tons of flowers and uniformed royal guards and ornate furniture and the list goes on and on. I felt like my status increased simply by walking into the area while it was being set up.







Yes, this picture is meant to be here--this is the view above one of the walls





We swung by the fabric printing store so Jake could get some shirts made. I was so good at resisting all the amazingly cute fabrics—and I made myself proud, so obviously I have to write about it. :)


In addition to food, dinner consisted of watching some tipsy geriatric Japanese people dance with the restaurants entertainment. They got Jake and I to join for a few minutes but we were both so hungry that we didn’t last long. It was more fun watching them anyway. The actual entertainers were really good at their jobs. Like really good. They looked so little that it made me a little nervous but man they were impressive.