Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Meet Guna

I have FINALLY figured out who to sponsor and it came completely out of left field. When I first came to India my plan was to wait and get to know the kids some before picking one to sponsor. That was a horrible plan. It sounded good but then I fell in love with all the kids and I couldn't choose just one. I've gotten pretty close to making a decision a few different times but then something always felt a little off.

Then a couple of weeks ago this little guy started hanging around me.



And no he doesn't normally wear a turban but yes he pretty much just melts your heart. His name is Gunaseelan and he is in 1st standard. I have seen him and interacted with him before but for whatever reason he has been all buddy buddy with me as of late. HE LOVES when I push him on the swings and especially when I give him underdogs. He is quiet the little monkey too. He can scale his way up the legs of the swing set in no time flat and his giggle is the cutest thing in the world. Oh and he also had a tiny bit of a lisp which is pretty freaking adorable.



After a few days of being my little buddy Guna grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eyes and announced "Auntie--you are my best friend!" A few days after that some of the other kids started to tell me that Guna told them I was his best friend, and then a day after that I had a staff member tell me that Guna had also told them I was his best friend.



Being Guna's best friend is quiet a blast! Every time I walk over for playtime, Guna yells my name and runs over to me as fast as he can. We play all sorts of games (red light green light is his favorite right now), we talk about our families, we sit and watch the trucks dump dirt at the girls hostel construction site, we have running races, we look at books, we terrorize frogs---you name it, we do it. The other day he was super excited to show me something at playtime. He has me sit down and watch as he carefully pulled out a folded piece of paper from his pocket. He slowly opened up the fold to show me what was inside: a bunch of little rectangular papers, each having a number written on it, such as 1000, 6500, 8200, etc. He had totally made himself his own little wallet and he wasn't messing around with the size of bills he put in it. The cutest part was that he was so proud! When I told him I was going to sponsor him he got a big smile on his face, threw his arms around my neck and said "Oh thank you Auntie!" Basically he Guna is the best thing ever. I literally love him. I love him like he is one of my nephews. If I am ever around the kids and he isn't there I'm always a little bummed. Of course I'm still obsessed with all the other kids and am always happy to be around them, but there is just something different about Guna.