Sunday, May 18, 2014

Details on Dubai

But first things first, if you want Namuli Jewelry while I am living away, contact me directly and I will direct you where you need to go. 

That being said, I am going to transition the blog for personal use while here in India. It will just be easier then making a whole new one just for this part of my life. Soooooo...Onto the good stuff!

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Dubai. It just seemed so enchanting and mysterious--and I felt like every time I turned around there was all this "world best", and "worlds biggest" and "world tallest" and "worlds first" intros to places in Dubai. So I wasn't arguing when I bought my ticket to India and had a 13 hour layover there. Lucky for me I have an Aunt who lives in Saudi Arabia--which is about a hour plane ride distance away--who said yes to my invitation to come spend the day in Dubai with me. It was crazy--there were a few points during the day that I would turn to her and be like "Um...we are hanging out with each other in Dubai. Just spending time in the Middle East together like it is no big deal." It was pretty surreal. Never in my life would I ever of guessed this would have been possible let alone happen. Then again, there are a lot of things in my life that feel that way--like moving to India for example. 

Needless to say, the plane rides leading up to Dubai were a little rough on me. I can usually sleep pretty well on planes but for whatever reason that really wasn't happening for me this go around. I was in the middle seat 2 of my three flights, so I couldn't get out and move around easily and didn't have much water of fluids in general so by the time I got to Dubai, I was totally inflated. Like so swollen that I needed to get another pair of shoes ASAP because my current shoes were cutting into my feet and all my other pairs of shoes were checked. 

Turns out the biggest mall in the world is in Dubai, so I was in luck. But before I could actually get there I needed to meet up with Jen, whose flight was a little later then mine. We had arranged to meet at the car rental office. I was going to go to her terminal, but then she thought she would come to my terminal--so there was a little bit of wait time until we found one another--which I spent chillin with the guys at the car rental office. I am pretty sure that as a women I shouldn't have gone in there and just talked to them, but in my defense I stayed outside for a while until they so graciously invited me in. They kept asking who I was waiting for and kind of teasing me, but all were relieved and excited to see that my Aunt found me in the end. And probably that she really did exist because I think they were starting to wonder.

We caught a cab to the Dubai Mall (which PS if you are ever in Dubai know that they charge extra for the Lexus cabs). I really wanted a certain pair of shoes and I figured that the biggest mall in the world would be bound to have them, but it turns out they didn't so I ended up with some new Adidas instead. They were a good price, and red but none of that matters simple because I have never been so happy for tennis shoes in my life. We decided to branch out as far as food goes and went with--The Cheesecake Factory.  :) It tasted exactly the same as home so we were both pretty happy camper. 

After lunch we started seeing the sights. I loved the architecture, and that the city was so clean. I told someone on the flight over that I was going to spend the day in Dubai and they called it the Las Vegas of the Middle East. I would say that is true, because it has the same extravagant and artistic buildings and water fountain shows, etc. except for Dubai is way cleaner. Both in physical appearance and activity wise. I am sure there is still some shady things that go on in Dubai, but they are not shoved in your face like they are in Las Vegas. We were not able to get tickets to do a lot of things since it was Friday, and Friday is the holy day for Islamic nations, but there was still plenty to see and do. We drove out onto the man made palm tree island, visited a more traditional arabian market place, sweat a WHOLE LOT and still made it back to the airport in plenty of time.

And the airport. When I was going back through customs the man asked me for my passport. He was taking a while with it though, and kept looking at it and then looking back at me, looking at it and looking at me. Im starting to get a little nervous thinking there is a problem or that someone had switched my passport for theirs or something. Finally he asks:

"When did you have this picture taken? Was it a long time ago?"

Me: "Well yeah, it was about six years ago."

"Oh yes I can see that, your face is very skinny in it. Now you look very different. You have put on some pounds."

Me (Ahem): "Yes, yes I have." (What I actually said)
What I really wanted to say: "And you, my friend, are a man wearing a dress with a veil on your head so back off!!!!"

I refrained though. 
The worse part of that story is that as I was going to board the plane, I noticed that I had some toilet  paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I have no idea how long it had been there--but the idea of holding my head up high and walking away from the man who said my face is fat enough that I actually look different with even the slight possibility that I was dragging toilet paper after me along the way makes it that much more NOT awesome. Sometimes I forget how cool I can be.