Monday, May 19, 2014

Leaping Lizards

There are a lot of creepy crawling things here. More so then home for sure. Particularly frogs and lizards. And snakes, but I haven't see one personally yet so I am still ignoring them for the time being. The staff said there was one in the children's hostel yesterday though. Gross.

There are two creatures I have not been able to ignore though--geckos and frogs. They like our living area, the frogs particularly love the bathroom. In fact my first time using the bathroom here I walked into a stall that had a little frog friend, so I ended up going to the next one. This has happened a few times, with my record being 2 stalls before I found a frogless one. They are not huge frogs but I am going to avoid the unpleasant situation of squatting over a hole and having a frog jump on me mid-mission. I tired to get a pic of them for my nieces and nephews the other night. There was a "larger" smaller white one and a smaller dark one, but it was so humid that all my attempted pics were blurry because of the condensation. Wiping it off the lens didn't matter either because it came back immediately. (Yes it really is that hot and humid) Just when I gave up trying to get a pic of them, the white one attacked the smaller green one. Luckily the little guy got away, but I almost stepped on him or another frog who looks just like him early this morning. Poor little guy(s). 

The geckos don't bother me too much, they were all over in Africa too so I guess I kinda expected them. In fact I kinda like their chirping. However I went to pull a bag out from under my bed the other day-and there was a pretty good size gecko just sitting on the bag staring back at me. It scared the bejezzers out of me. I may have jumped up and away. May have. He jump and scurried away pretty quick after I found him, but I now have a little bit of anxiety every time I go to get my bags out--which is multiple times a day. I just hope that the the only creatures I find on my bags are geckos, and not scorpions or snakes or mice or whatever else. Although I'll be sure to tell the story if I do find one of those things. If they doesn't kill me first.