Saturday, August 30, 2014

Arrival of Session #4


Emily and I picked up the new group this morning. This group is our largest group yet—20 people. Well 19, we are still waiting on one who is having visa issues. The makeup of the group is basically two family groups with a handful of lone travelers thrown in. Jordan from session #3 will be staying through this session as well—which of course we are all so happy about because she is an absolute gem! I am trying to convince her to come back in January, and I think it may be working………..I hope it is anyway. Having the families in this group will put a different twist on things for sure. Our youngest family member of the group is 8 and then we have a 12 and 14 year old. The younger ones are all super curious little boys so we will see how it goes. There is already a more family feeling atmosphere in the elephant house.

India’s welcome to session #4 was cute and wet! Alamalu had created a magnificent rangoli design just in front of the elephant house steps. Rangoli blows my mind. They are made out of chalk dust or some other kind of small material---sand, colored salt, etc. and I love them. 


After orientation we were just finishing up the campus tour (which ends at the children’s hostels/playgrounds) and before I could even finish what I was saying the children ran around the corner and literally jumped on/swarmed the volunteers. They were so excited to meet new volunteers and all the glossy eyed jet lagged volunteers broke out into the biggest smiles ever. It was
 one of the most adorable things I have ever seen.

After playtime, I stopped by the kitchen to pick up dinner. I was by myself, which wasn’t a huge deal until a torrential downpour ensued. Unbeknownst to me, one of the new volunteers, Lindsey, was walking behind me and was super sweet and caught up, took one of the pots from me, but everything was already a drowning mess. I was soaked, she was soaked, I was trying to hurry to get out of the rain and all that did was result in curry down my shirt and pants. It was quiet the adventure. The courtyard of the elephant house filled up with a good amount of water so the younger kids were frolicking around in it, splashing it everywhere, etc. I tell ya, something “Welcome to India-ish” always seems to happen on the first day volunteers come, and Session #4 got a flash monsoon right before dinner time.