Wednesday, September 3, 2014

HAPPY INDIA INDEPENDENCE DAY


HOORAY FOR INDEPENDENCE!  


Today marks 67 years that India was freed from the homeland-Britain. Have you noticed that almost every country celebrates their freedom from Britain specifically? I’m not trying to hate on British (because lets be honest, I came from the British myself) but really now. Apparently you owned all the world at one time. I think every country I have visited was at one time or another ruled by Britain. Maybe I need to spend more time in Britain.

Anyway, the kids have been practicing all sorts of marches and skill performances routines. I assumed these were for Independence Day. Turns out I was totally wrong. They are practicing for Sports Day—is apparently is held in higher regard then India’s Independence because the Independence day program consisted of a few patriotic things spice up with a practice run of the children’s sports day program. It was all pretty festive though so whatever. Who cares really right? One of our volunteers was named special guest of the Independence Day ceremony. As such she was required to give a small speech. She did awesome. Unbeknownst to most the campus though, she was up with a kidney stone almost the entire night before. Hats off to Sara Garrett for pulling though. Now, hopefully your kidney stone pulls through you. But for reals.









Of course there was the singing of the national anthem, raising of the Indian Flag—which I love because they put flower petals in it so when they draw the flag up it rains petals. There were also a few ornate rangolies by the flag pole and such. One of the things I love about India is how decorated it all is. It just fascinates me.

There was a three way tie for my personal favorite part of the program though. One is when Selvi (one of our awesome cleaning ladies) untied the goats during a performance. They didn’t get right in the middle of it but they defiantly ventured out and made an appearance. It made me giggle. Claartje would have been so proud. The next happened at the very end of the performance/dress rehearsal when the little kids of campus danced for us. There are no words to describe how much happiness the littles bring me. It is just a little snipit but see for yourself. 


The last one happened at the end of the program when it read: “Sweet Distribution” and that’s exactly what it was. I am not entirely sure why I found it so amusing but for some reason it was. Maybe I was just still giggly because of the goats and the dancing children. I can’t decide if I was happier that this was part of the actual program rather then just a simple refreshments in small letters at the bottom, or if it was the simple fact that we got sweets and they were handed to us individually none the less. Either way. Indian sweets are usually super rich so I was only able to eat one of what they gave us—I can’t remember its name for the life of me though.  

The rest of Independence Day was spent walking into the village, working on sponsorship letters or children’s bios, etc. I know I crack a lot of jokes about this place and the things I don’t understand or find amusing, but I really love it here. I loved having more free time today to just chill with the kids. I love (almost) all the differences because they really aren’t anything bad-they are just so India. In the short time I have spent here I have gained a respectful and healthy amount of Indian pride. These people are so resilient and loving. It is weird to me that I’m constantly surrounded by things that are so foreign to me, yet I feel at home. I feel more alive then I’ve felt for a long time. Random goat interferences and all.