Thursday, November 13, 2014

Family Party

To be completely honest, the traveling back from Sri Lanka was pretty awful. I only ended up getting 3 hours of sleep before having to get up and go to the airport (which was completely my own fault) but I was planning on sleeping during the 2-3 hour drive to the airport-except my driver felt the need to drive like we were in India, with his music turned full blast. I asked him to turn it down but then he turned it on again. He may of been trying to stay away because it was three in the morning, but I was not super happy it. I got to the airport fast--so I tried to hunker down and sleep there, which only kind of worked due to frustrations at the airport when some man and his family refused to leave the luggage check in line until 5 or so more members of his family members cut to the front of the line with them, each with 2-3 bags each and in front of 20-ish other people standing in line. And then the person taking tickets before boarding kept looking at me weird and finally said-"you know this flight is going to Chennai, India right?" like I was some lost little girl who obviously didn't know how to find my way around the airport. I know I am complaining a lot right now and I know that I was really tiered which didn't help at all but I really was so frustrated. There hasn't been many times, in fact none that I can even think of off the top of my head where I have had a bad time traveling but this morning was defiantly bad.

On a happier note, I met a nice dutch girl named Gwen on the flight home. It was fun to kill some time with her. Sankar was there to pick me up at the airport which made me super happy too. He was waving to me like a crazy person with his big smile and it made my heart feel warm. We made sure Gwen found her greeting party and then we were on the way. Sankar was quiet the little Chatty Cathy on the way home. He was cracking me up-catching me up on the campus happenings and everything I missed. He even went into the story of how he and his wife met (they have a love marriage) and was smiling ear to ear the whole time. It was adorable.

What's not so adorable is that we apparently have had sightings of a large cobra on campus. It is always seen in the same general area and has been seen enough lately that they are installing more lights in the area and not allowing anyone to walk on a certain part of the path after 6:00 P.M. Gross. I knew there were snakes, and I don't like when we see one or catch one but I figured it was all part of the India package so I don't think about it to much. But this whole thing about a large uncatchable cobra on campus that is disrupting normal campus activities does have me a little creeped out. Welcome back to India right?  

Ironically, I got a burst of energy right when I got home so I unpacked and did some laundry, but needless to say I crashed hard core after a few hours. They tried to wake me up to go to a meeting but I was so out of it I told them I wasn't coming-which is saying a lot because I have never willingly missed that meeting the entire time I have been here.

The sleep was good and very needed because tonight we had a "Family" Party. Ciera and Katie both fly out Saturday morning which means they will leave late tomorrow night. It was sad knowing that tonight was our last full night together. We really have had such a good group this past fall. We lost some members early on, which of course was sad, but those who could stay were awesome too. The dynamics of the group were perfect and we literally did become one big happy family. Of course I still miss my friend and family, but having greater group unity was for sure helpful on that front.

For our family party we ate dinner in the Young's house and then all watched a movie-Meet the Robinsons. And of course there were more then a few laughs, dog piles and pictures taken in between. It was a bittersweet occasion to come home to-but I don't think I would have traded it for anything else. I truly love this group of people.