Sunday, November 23, 2014

Stuffage

This week was spent putting final touches on the schedule for next weeks volunteer session, and me still battling my head cold that has crossed over into a sinus infection now. Joy. I use to get these all the time. Then I got a surgery to help prevent them and I honestly don't recall having one since then so this has been a rude reminder of how bad they suck.

In other worthy news:

Dr. Susan donated some of her old clothes to the Elephant House closet. Thus, Berlyn and I have been having Dr. Susan dress up days. One day we walked over to show her just how much we wanted to be like her by dropping in to see her while wearing her old outfits. She looked a little shocked-and then she laughed a lot. And I may or may not have said I few key phrases of hers that made us laugh even more. She told us later that when she saw us she had this idea of how awful it would be to have duplicates of the same person in the world. Lucky for her, that can't happen-By God's grace.



I finally received a coveted invitation to dine at Cohen's Cyber Cafe and Avery's Awesome Restaurant.


Cohen hard at work


 Only the freshest ingredients will do


Their service was top notch, they were extremely personable and it was really really hard to choose a winner-but I went with Cohen in the end because he had the ability to make a hot dog sandwich taste pretty close to a real hotdog, without the use of any real hotdog or anything else other then bread and condiments.


Avery totally took the cake in the presentation department though. Who knew apples with honey and sprinkles could look so good?


And last but not least, the other items served were Crackers with Jam (Avery) and a Honey Mustard Sandwich (Cohen)



Cohen has developed quiet the pillow fight obsession as of late. Sometimes it will just be he and I, sometimes it is Avery, he and I. But the other night it was everyone. Well everyone besides Lon who didn't want to participate in the violence. It was a blast though. My stomach hurt from laughing so hard.


 Poor Rebecca found herself in the middle of a triangle of death




On Saturday we went to Mamallapuram and didn't do to much other then eating and hitting the beach. It was perfect weather to play in the water and be lazy on the beach. Minus the peddlers who literally surrounded us and wouldn't go away, even though I was "sleeping" the whole time. They were preying on Berlyn more then me though. I think I have turned them down enough that they know not to try so much with me anymore-but Berlyn--she is a new face to them. She is fresh meat. When we got up to leave some of the sand from Berlyn's towel blew onto one of the ladies. She got some in her eyes and even though she was speaking Tamil-you could tell she wasn't very happy with it or with Berlyn. Ironic isn't it? That you hover over us when we are trying to relax on the beach, but then get mad at us if normal beach things happen-such as sand flying around.


As we were walking off the beach, there was a kid sitting off to the side of me who quietly said "Hey! Do you want a friend?" and then threw a rat at me. No, I am not kidding. He had a sting tied on one of the rats legs so it could only go so far as the string was long until it drop/flopped to the ground. It startled me at first because even though I see crazy things everyday, I have never had a rat thrown at me until today. I probably disappointed the boy some as of seeing I didn't scream and run away AND then promptly told him that I was a pet rat when I was little. I told him he needed to be nicer to the rat-to which he agreed he would-but who knows if he really was. Lets be honest, he probably wasn't. Oh well, I tried.  




They were playing christmas songs as the prelude music in church this week. I am ashamed to say that I immediately thought to myself-"Why are they doing that? It isn't the holidays." I literally had to remind myself that yes indeed, it is the holiday season. We built a snowman out of sand on the beach the other day but I still had to remind myself today that it is late November and Thanksgiving is this week. It just doesn't feel like the holidays though. The mall had some christmas decoration up so that helped a little--but it just doesn't feel very holiday/Christmassy.

One thing I am loving though are the "cooler" temperatures. The cooler temperatures have made it so a lot of the locals are wearing coats and crocheted half bonnet things to keep warm. When we got home from Mamallapuram I was in my swimsuit, sundress and sporting a slight sunburn, and we were greeted by  some of the house mothers, bundled up, knitted bonnets and all walking around the track. I've love to see their winter clothes. Even though it makes me sweat to think of wearing them myself, it is cute to see them all bundled up. I can not take credit for these photos-these were taken by Rebecca the other day. I love them. She is so talented. And even though these pics are of little kids, the adults sport them too-little kids are just to dang cute to not photograph.






On  a brighter note-today was the primary program in church. I love the primary program, and I don't recall seeing in any other country then here. The kids did so good and it was so fun to watch. You would not believe the paparazzi that exploded after the closing prayer. I didn't think we were allowed to take pictures in the chapel but it happened today. On at least 35 different cameras. One of them happened to be Beryl's--so here you go. Adorable right?