Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lazy Weekend

With the session ending and two of four of us in the elephant house not feeling well, we had a lazy weekend. The rest was great, although, unfortunately, I am still not better. Berlyn is getting there but she still isn't better either. Poor thing. Our room is struggling some. hahah

Berlyn and I decided to take a walk on Sunday afternoon. We went around the corner into the first part of the village, and found ourselves in a village celebration. I was trying to pass quickly because I felt like we were interrupting and I was in baggy workout clothes so I didn't want to be offensive by my dress, but Alamalu was there and insisted that we come over to the celebration. Some of the other staff members were there as well, along with their husbands and kids. It is always fun to see them out of work and/or school mode. Of course Alamalu offered us some food and we were lucky enough for one of the food items to be vegetable doughnuts! They sound disgusting but they are really really good. The men were shirtless and decorated by the painted signs of Gods. They were getting a bus ready to make some kind of pilgrimage over the coming week-it was all very National Geographic like. I didn't even bring my camera because it was just a little walk, and I don't know if I would of felt comfortable taking a pic in such an authentic and intimate situation but trust me, it was really very cool.

After that pit stop we continued on our way. I finally walked up on the first road that runs to the side of the first little temple in the village. Turns out it goes all around and connects with the other part of the trail so we walked the whole thing. On our way back we stumbled on this:





Had we gotten there a minute earlier we would have seen the actual birth, but we did get to see/hear its first cry (which was rather pathetic but I am sure good for a new born goat) and watch the rest of the cleaning off process-which the lady did with her hands and then simply wiped them on the grass. We didn't get to see it stand up on its own because we didn't want to be creepy and just stop and watch for 1/2 hour or something, but I still kind of wish I would of. Who knew our Sunday afternoon walk would involve a festival AND a fetus morphing into a baby goat! The most random things are always happening here.