Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Best Sunday Ever


Today was honestly the best Sunday I’ve had since coming to India. It was one of those Sunday’s where it seems like the whole thing was catered to you because everything that is said, all the testimonies that were borne, the Sunday school lesson---was spot on what your heart, spirit and mind needed to hear. I got some not so great news from home this past week and I have been struggling to take it all in as well as the feeling of helplessness since I’m literally half a world away. We had a family fast earlier this week and I was feeling kind of bad because although I was “fasting” it wasn’t a complete fast—which I can’t really do because my insulin struggles due to all the other hormonal problems my body has had lately. Usually, that has never really bothered me because I know I am doing the best I can and my heart is in the right place, but it was bothering me big time today for some reason. Anyway, it didn’t end up mattering because I worked through that and it was all taken care of in the end. Despite the two power outages we had during sacrament meeting, it ended up being very spiritually fulfilling and comforting. Just what I needed.

The Lorax (he is a man in the branch that is tall and has a big white slightly curled on the ends mustache, which causes him to look like Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax) taught Sunday school today and it was so funny and powerful at the same time. He was talking about love and started out that whole part of the lesson by saying “What if God ran a call center? If he did it would be like this……” and then he proceeded to teach his lesson through a power point presentation that had God as the call center technician and us as the needing help customers. It was so fitting for India too, call center and all……hahhahaha. Oh and the branch president had flowers for all the girls’ hair at church today as well. It is the beginning of the Harvest festival? I think that is why we were given flowers. When living in a society that worships numerous god’s there is always some kind of holiday or festival going on. It can be hard to keep it all straight. For example, besides the beginning of the harvest today was also the last day of the Ganesha festival that has been going on for a few weeks now. As a result we saw a couple of processions of Ganesh statue “floats” making their way to the ocean, where apparently they dump them. If I could dive in the Indian ocean I am sure I would find some of the most amazing things—such as many years of dumped Ganesha statues. That is if I could see through the water or course---which I don’t think would be possible.

After church we stopped by a new mall we have never been to before. This one is on our way home, so it will be easier to go to, however we didn’t know what to expect since we had never even heard a thing about it before. Ummmm—it was AMAZING! The supermarket is just another branch of the one at Express, but it has more stuff—or at least stuff I haven’t seen in it before---such as BBQ SAUCE! Yep you read that right. I even saw some deli meat there too but I only had a limited amount of money so I wasn’t able to get it today. But to know it is there?!?! However, the absolute best part of the mall was this:


 I just about died when I realized CPK was there. Camery noticed it and said “oh wow, they have California Pizza Kitchen here” to which I reacted very strongly too---kind of like how Emily reacted to the suggestion of French toast one night. Ill be honest, I was surprised at the way I reacted. I do miss American food but maybe I miss it a little more then I realize based on the happiness seeing California Pizza Kitchen brought me. I literally almost cried. I am afraid this may be a sign that I might be one of those people who comes back to America and cries when walking into the supermarket just because of the sheer amount and variety of food that’s in the store. I guess I’ll have to stay tuned for that one. In the mean time, I’m going to heat up some of my left over CPK pizza that is currently in the fridge. I still can’t believe I am saying that while I am still in India. Ill take it though. Ill take it 100%.