Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Adventures of Session #5


Taking into account that we had 2 holidays during this short session I blinked and it was over. The first holiday was Sports Day and then the following Friday was a national holiday because it was the Ganesh Festival. I wish we were allowed out at night during the festivals because 1. They usually only happen at night, and 2.  I would love to experience that, but we had to settle for looking at the pre-celebration decorations during the day and hearing the music in the distance at night. 


Anyway, on to the important stuff. The work was great as usual. Dominique rocked it all. She loved her time here and really wanted to stay longer, but needed to get back to school herself. That's fair, but I wish she could of stayed longer too.


We had two of our fall coordinators show up mid session as well--Jace and Ashley Hansen. They are a young married couple that seem really down to earth and eager to jump on in. I'm excited to get to know them. Jashley (Ashley's nickname donned on her from Dr. Susan) is an esthetician, so one night she did facials for us. It was a good night, having a little spa in Em and I's room. The facials had an Indian flair such as weird smelling rags and murky water, but whatever. They felt great.


Jashley's hubby Jace is super chill. We figured out that he and I more or less have the exact same life story, so we have had more then a few hearts to hearts. It been good for both of us. I was a little worried that when the married couple came they wouldn't really be interested in hanging out with the rest of the elephant house residents, but I can already tell I don't have to worry about that at all.


We spent this session's rest day in Mamallapuram. I am amazed at how many things there are to do in this quirky little town. We visited the rock formation known as butter ball. It is amid all the other ruins and is pretty interesting just because it is SO big and so balanced and you, well I did at least, can't help but picture the real life Indiana Jones scene that will happen when it decides to un-balance some day. There is a natural slide down the rock to the side of butter ball. I'll admit I was surprised at how fast it was. I almost face planted it at the bottom because it took me by surprise. The other highlight of the day was the soap opera that has developed at the end of the main street, while heading to the beach. There are a couple of stores, well about three of them that are so dramatic at who shops at what store. They will be so nice to your face but then the second you walk out and go to another store they will tell your friends how much it bothers them and how mad they are at you that you went to the other store. It makes me laugh. I think it'll be best to stay away from the drama, err those stores the next couple of times we go there. 
   


I like this picture because it looks like we planned to have people supporting it on all sides, but it was a total accident.


BUT the absolute highlight of the day was this man. We walked down the beach for a quick look and got a look at something else we won't expecting! He wouldn't let us not look. We tried but he wanted pictures so then we just laughed why we weren't looking. 




Per Yemily's request we had another end of session Period Party. Sadly, the end of this session means Yemily going home too--which is way weird and I am super sad about. We've become good friends over the last four months and have been each others sounding board/sanity anchor for to many things to count. I am sure we will keep in touch but it still makes me sad to see her go. I am realizing that although I knew there would be a lot of people coming and going throughout my time in India, I didn't really take into account how sad it would be to see them all go. You can't experience something like this without forming a special bond with your fellow volunteers. There are a lot of unexplainable feelings and once in a life time opportunities you take on together, side by side. I am so grateful for the people I have met and the things they have each taught me. And especially Yemily. End of story.