Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Teachers Day

Today was yet another celebration day--this time it was Teachers Day. I have to say that being here and working with the kids in the school and tutoring my two little boys has given me a whole new appreciation for teachers and the work they do. I appreciated them before but I am leaning more toward worshiping them now. It is hard work. Props to them.

The program was really nice. It included gifts for the teachers and more awards for students for their sports day performances. Life dance performed, speeches were made and a good time was had by all. The kids LOVED cheering for their teachers and adorning them with leis. Of course there were a few decorative rangolies around campus too. I am learning that You can't have a celebration of any sort in India without rangolies present. As volunteers, we participated in the program by helping to pass out awards, tie on bracelets and fulfill other smaller duties here and there. I love that we were given the opportunity to do that. To me, it reinforces that we are part of a bigger whole, multicultural community that are working together to accomplish good. When it was my turn at the microphone it stopped working. That seems to be a theme with me lately. At church, during programs, etc. It was slightly awkward and think some people may have expected me to stop and wait until the microphone was working, but I was saying a prayer so I just kept going. They already laugh at everything I do anyway, so what is another thing to add to the list. I can support the cause and work to bring about positive change AND be the comic relief too. That is called multitasking.





This is Mr. Satharaj-he and I are buddies. He is always so happy and smiling. He makes me laugh.


Miss Vadavu was honored for her years for service to Rising Star Outreach


Look at how happy they are! They love their teachers so much.



The teachers were sporting some seriously rockin' sarees


And last but not least, continuously winning awards never gets old. Even when you have three and the boy behind you looks disappointed to only have one........