Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hand Shake


Clinic was at Chettipunniyum today and I was on washing duty. It has been a while since I've done washing so I was more then a little excited to hear that was my assignment. We have been doing a lot of work in this colony. Besides the medical clinics we have been building latrines here as well. It has gnawed out a special little place in my heart. Berlyn was able to get some nice shots of us/me working. She got a lot of other nice shots too, but I always appreciate when someone captures something for you that you can't. Its like you get the best of both worlds. You get to have the experience and make the memories but can also visually see it too. What a pal. She is great.




On a previous visit to this colony, I had the coolest little experience that I wrote down but haven't shared until now. I was hoping to get a picture with Maria to go with the story, but I have no idea when that is actually going to happen so no more waiting for that. I know the picture isn't necessarily super important, I just love being able to "show" parts of my life as I know it for now. But oh well. Use your imagination for this one:

One of the ladies that lives in Chettipunniyum is named Maria. The first time I did construction she was there and very excitedly thrust her arm out to greet me and shake my hand. The ironic thing is, she has no hand—she lost it due to her leprosy. But she didn’t care! She was smiling, happy, and offered the same polite gesture she would have had she still had her hand. I smiled and shook her arm and she just beamed. I don’t know how to explain what happened during that handshake but it almost felt electric. I know it sounds crazy but it really stirred something in me and I immediately had the thought “That was literally the BEST handshake I’ve ever had". No lies or exaggeration, it was powerful. I never thought a handshake could be the root of such a powerful experience, let alone a handshake offered by someone with no hand.    


I didn't take this picture, it is a photo that belongs to Rising Star, but I love it! And even though this lady isn't exactly smiling as in the experience I just told, this photo makes me happy because of the feelings it stirs within me. I've seen this scene many times before, and more often then not the person will turn towards you, their eyes light up and the smile spreads across their face as they raise their hands together and give a slight bow while saying "Vannikkam!" (which is the local greeting).