Sunday, October 26, 2014

Surrounded by Satin

See that? Turns out I spoke in sacrament meeting today. I had about 10 mins or less notice I was doing so. And here is my chicken scratch/"outline" I QUICKLY jotted down. 




I don’t think many people could understand my English because of my accent, but it may have been better that way. President came to welcome me to church and followed “Good morning sister” with “I have two speakers that have not shown up to church today. They may come, they may not. I don’t know. Can you prepare a talk and be ready to speak if I call you?” I don’t even want to think about how big my eyes looked as I smiled back and said “Yes, I will do my best Presdent”. It was a good freaking thing that I had been studying Elder Bednar’s most recent conference address about missionary work earlier this week. And it was an equally good freaking thing my iPad was able to pull it up so I can whirlwind write a sacrament meeting talk through out VERY little announcements, a quick opening song and an ever quicker passing of the sacrament. I felt a little bad having to keep working on it during the sacrament but I got over that real quickly once President called my name. To be fair there was a less then 2 minute youth speaker before me-but still. It was kind of intense. I do have to admit though that I felt very peaceful and collected while speaking-which is something I can in no way attribute to myself but was extremely thankful for none the less.  However I got the time is up slip from one of the branch presidency members—which I found ironic because they never even told me how long I was suppose to talk for anyways. Gosh they are so picky!

One of my favorite things at church is how the members say Satan. Because of their accent it comes out Satin, which for some reason always makes me chuckle to myself. The lady who spoke after me talked about times when we are “surrounded by Satin” and it made me so happy. Oh and then Rebecca started a fight in Sunday School-it was a total accident though. She made a great comment that was completely true and logical, but it was clear that some of the men, well at least one man for sure, took some issue with it. It was kind of funny to hear them arguing in Tamlish-it was all tamil tamil tamil tamil-prostitute-tamil tamil tamil…….(she used the example of when the prostitute asked Jesus for healing or something like that. To be honest I don’t remember the story real well, but the whole thing was pretty entertaining.

Ah Chennai 1st Branch. You always keep things interesting.