Thursday, October 16, 2014

Its The Small Things Really

The last week has been pretty routine. Things are going great, it just that when I have sat down to blog I haven't had big things to write about (or numerous big things to write about) but I feel like a lot has been happening. And a lot has happened, they've just been smaller things that haven't included a program with a guest of honor, holiday, celebration, etc.

I am guilty of forgetting the small things in life. I know they are there, and I am grateful for them in the moment, but I have gotten out of the habit really embracing them or writing them down. Obviously, you can't write every single small thing that happens down--believe me I know. I went through a journal writing phase where I did just that, and eventually I stopped writing in my journal all together because it just got to be to much. Well that and then I had some life experiences that were big enough they caused tidal waves of emotions afterwords. Have you ever tried to write about tidal waves of emotion that seemed to be coming from all directions, one after another after another? Some people call that experience a song or peoms. I called it quits because I didn't even know where to start.

So after yo-yoing from one extreme to another, I can honestly say I am now more balanced in my journal writing. My biggest triumph from this process comes from gaining a healthy hold on the small stuff. Doing that has helped me to be more grateful and really live in the present, to really experience things. I have learned that it is often the small things that create day to day life, and day to day memories. Much like this week.

This past week, time spent with the kids has included everything from delousing their hair to tucking some of the girls into bed--metaphorically speaking of course because they all sleep next to each other on mats that are laid out across the floor. I love going to reading time because I feel like I get to hang out with the little sister(s) that I never had. One of them grabbed my flashlight the other night and informed me that she was a doctor, and proceeded to check my throat and ears, etc. Others asked us to read their palms, and even after explaining numerous times that I had no idea how to do that, they still insisted so I just started making up stuff. They did the same thing to me though. For example, one of the girls told me that my first love is my one true love. I asked her what I was suppose to do if my first love is my one true love and he is married to someone else. She thought for a few seconds, shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh well, I guess your first love isn't your one true love then. Sounds easy enough right?

While I was walking over to the playground the other day, Tinkerbell latched onto me. She made me stop, and then opened up her mouth, stuck out her tongue and more or less started panting on me. I could not figure out what the heck she was doing so after a bit I said the first thing that came to mind, "Tinkerbell, why are you breathing on me?" "I just drank some milk and I wanted you to smell it on my breath" she giggled. "I don't really want to smell that, Tinkerbell."......"Okay. Do you want some milk?"

(Thanks for the pic Treg!)

Also, we had game time during the education rotation where we played telephone. The have a funny physical relationship with one another. Hitting, punching and basically usually any kind of force is "normal" here. We are relentlessly trying to teach them that you can not simply go up to someone and hit them if you feel like it. They are doing better with it, but the whole idea of being gruff in actions to one another reared its head during telephone. When they went to whisper in their neighbors ear, they would grab their head (most the time with both hands), put their lips right up to your ear, whisper that they needed to, and promptly push away your head (using both of their hands) when finished. Maybe it was one of those things you had to see but it was pretty comical, mostly because they honestly weren't trying to be funny or little punks, they were simply just being them. There were a few points where I couldn't contain my laughter.

At the colonies this last week there are a few small things that stand out. One being the patient that limped into our clinic a few days ago. He was visibly sick and in pain, his right foot was extremely swollen. You could even see some puss oozing out from a small sore on top of it. But, we are set up for leprosy patients and were not able to see this man. Dr. Vinoth gave him a referral for a consultation at the local hospital, so even though I know he is going to get help, it was hard to have to turn him away. I didn't even have to do anything, I only had to watch him be turned away and that was sad enough. I hope he gets into the hospital soon though, by the looks of things he needs it sooner then later.  

Of course, there are plenty of little things that happen within the elephant house as well. Specifically in the Peafowl room. Like when Berlyn gets stuck while trying to put on a miniature chuddidar top. Or when our AC goes out in our room creating a mandatory all volunteer sleep over in the Kingfisher room. Or when we do yoga and/or alternating planks and wall sits to the India song Ji-Ho. Oh and there was a blood moon the other night. And perhaps the greatest small thing that happened this week was the I found corn on the cob in the market. IT WAS SO GOOD! I guess that is one plus to living in a climate that is basically always summer because that means corn on the cob is available all year round!



Moral of the story--pay attention to the little things. Not so much attention that it overwhelms you, but enough that you can be present in day to day life, because after all, most of life is made up of all the small things.