Saturday, December 13, 2014

IT'S FINALLY CHRISTMAS!!

Today FINALLY felt like Christmas!! 

And I cried. 

It finally felt like Christmas and I was so happy about it that I cried. Well let me clarify-today was the first day that it finally felt like Christmas without me having to consciously remind myself that it is Christmas time--which was magnificent! Ever since my Dad passed away it takes a lot for me to cry. It's not that I don't feel deep sadness or oozing happiness because I still feel (although sometimes I think my feelings aren't what they use to be, meaning overall they seem more dull) but it usually takes a lot for me to actually spill tears. Except for today. I absolutely spilled tears today.

Today some staff from the Marriott in Chennai came to do a Christmas program for the kids. The kids have been SO excited for it. They literally have been talking about it all week long-counting down the days and reminiscing about what the Marriott visit was like last year. Well Marriott didn't disappoint. 

The kids (and most the staff) dressed in their fanciest outfits and waited eagerly to greet our guests. Once the guests arrived they were welcomed by hundreds of little flower petals as they walked into the dining hall. 







After mingling for a minute, the program started with a prayer song, "Joy to the World" (which I helped with since Rebecca and Brooklyn are both in Delhi---sorry choir girls!), and an actual prayer by Carl Sr. After a few remarks a Christmas movie was started--some cartoon called Saving Santa I think. I didn't watch all of it because I was showing some of the Marriott employees to the bathrooms in the Elephant House. On our way back they were talking about how they had Santa Clause coming for the kids. I guess each staff member drew the name of one of our students and bought them a gift--making it so all the students would receive a gift from Santa. I didn't really know what Marriott had planned but I was over the moon excited when I found this out. Giddy is a more appropriate word really. I honestly don't know who was more excited about Santa coming, the kids or me. It very easily could of been me. I literally got butterfly's in my stomach when I saw him coming.  I was just so excited to see the kids faces light up. And for each of them to get a present. I had thoughts of getting them presents but of course they were only "yeah right" thoughts because there is no way I could of single handedly bought gifts for every single one of them. BUT-the fact that Marriott could and that they actually DID warmed my heart. Im not trying to sound cheesy but it really did. Almost as much as watching the kids receive their gift after very patiently waiting for their name to be called. I am sure I looked like a freak. Big Carl told me he saw my mascara running everywhere but oh well. I don't even care. It was awesome but even saying it was awesome doesn't do it justice. And as a nice little side note the whole thing was a gift to me as well. Of course Christmas is not about the gifts and Santa-but the program had just the right amount of Christmas magic and familiarity to it and that in and of itself help to bandage the bit of sadness and homesickness I've been feeling. Hence me, a 30 year old woman, crying over Santa coming and giving presents to my....err....the kids.

My first glance....    


 The kids first glance....




Passing out presents....



Sangeetha is such a little poser! She totally has this sassy miss thang attitude and I love it!


About half was through, Mr. Prakash's (the Marriott Chennai General Manager) daughter wanted in on the action so she started helping Santa hand out gifts. She was so cute about it. She looked most people right in the eyes as she gave offered them her present. Mr. Prakash and his wife Venna are two of the sweetest people I have ever met. They have hearts of gold. Venna is the author of an Indian cooking blog. I got the address for that today so you know Ill be checking that out ASAP. 




The kids were more than happy to show off their presents, but they didn't open them until they got back to the hostels AFTER the program. I was really impressed with their patience. I don't know that I could of done that when I was their ages.




This is one of our new students, Praveenkumar. He is freaking adorable but the first couple of days are always hard. Today was one of those days. :(



 The boys side showing off their presents....


 The girls side showing off their presents back...


And of course everyone wanted pictures with Santa! 





Many thanks to the Marriott Chennai staff members. Their continued support of Rising Star is such a blessing, all year round.