Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Kerala Day 5

Today was all about exploration. After all, I did need to acquaint myself with my new surroundings. I met some friends that work at a restaurant in town so I decided to try that for breakfast. It was good enough but I still have a hard time eating curry type things for breakfast. To me, curry is not a breakfast item, but I am living in India so sometimes you have to accept weird things like that.

I planned to go to a famous beach that requires crossing a channel in order to get to it so after breakfast I walked over to the ferry station. I am pretty sure that I got ripped off on my ticket, because locals were paying something like 2 rupees and ironically, when I got up to the ticket counter my ticket was 15 rupees. Then the ferry back cost me 5 rupees. Riiigghhhhttt. It really is only a matter of a few cents by the time you do the conversion, but I still find it very annoying. Anyway, it was a short little ride over and once I got to the other side I could of caught a bus for the next part of my journey but based on my “throwing up while being transported somewhere” streak I’ve had going on, I decided against it. I voted for an airy rickshaw instead. This rickshaw was the nicest rickshaw I have ever seen. It was bright green, had actual doors, a stereo system and pretty comfortable seats.





The original plan was to go to Cherai beach, but the locals were telling me to go a different beach that was just as beautiful but not really busy and touristed out. I went for it and it was a pretty beach, but getting to it was just as if not more pretty then the beach itself.  We had to go off the beaten path, which included driving on all these simple slightly raised roads that were surrounded by rice patties and picturesque Asian scenery. When the driver dropped me off I literally had to walk through what I am pretty sure was some family’s yard/land to get to the beach. I felt a little bad but at the same time they really didn’t seem to care, and were happily waving to me so I took that as we were cool. There were people quiet a way up the beach from me but for the most part it was just me and the beach. I have to say that the beaches are not quiet as magnificent and white sanded and clear turquoise water as they claim to be on line, but it was still beautiful and very peaceful. I chilled there for a while, read some, took some pics and laid in the sun some, but as per usual I got really hungry and had to set out to find food.







Finding food was a little tricky because of how remote I was. I found what looked like an amazing place but everyone else thought it was amazing too and I didn’t want to spend hours waiting so I went into a hotel and had them make me a pineapple and mint salad with some pasta. I was lucky I got that though because I kept asking for things-that were on the menu mind you-that were not actually available. That happens a lot in India-----things not being available and or getting your meal with only 1/5 of what it said came with it but oh well, what do you do.

Once I was back in Fort Kochi, I went to the part of town affectionally known as Jew Town. I wrote a little yesterday how Fort Kochi is an extremely religiously and culturally diverse place, and its populations of Jews/Jewish history is just one of the example of that.


In Jew town they have lots of shopping, which I looked at some but didn’t find anything I needed or anything interesting for that matter. After wandering around the shops I went to visit the Jewish Synagogue. Pics were not allowed inside, but I found these ones off the internet.



In keeping with the cultural diversity tone of this place, the synagogue was made of up items for all over the world—floor tiles from China, decorative lamps from ……….., renovations and restorations done by the Dutch, etc. It was so eclectic but it worked, in a really cool and super unique sort of way.

After the synagogue, I wandered through Jew town (which ironically was full of Muslims according to their dress anyway) I wandered over to the Dutch Palace, which is exactly that—a palace built by the Dutch. The Portuguese were the first to build it, but the Dutch took over it in the 17th century. They remodeled it and then gave it to the king of Kochi. The inside of the palace was turned into a museum, complete with original clothing from the Indian royal family, tons of Hindu art murals and other awesome stuff. It has been used for all kinds of palace appropriate activities over the years, including many coronations. This was another place where cameras were not allowed inside, so thanks again internet……




After the palace I caught a rickshaw back to the harbor so that I could check out the Chinese fishing nets at sunset. A lot of drivers receive kickbacks for taking tourists to different stores, and this one was really nice so when he told me he got a liter of gasoline if I went into a certain store, I played along. I didn’t buy anything because I wasn’t interested in shopping there in the least bit, but I figured I could help a pal out. But you also have to say no too because if you helped ever rickshaw driver out, your entire day would be spent being shuttle between shops. Anyway, back to the Chinese fishing nets. This is the only place in the world (outside of China of course) where they use/you can see these kinds of fishing nets. The system is really neat, they basically have a ginormous pulley system (and by pulley system I really mean slab of concrete) that helps to lower the nets into the water. After letting it sit there for a few mins they slowly raise the net back up, bringing fish and whatever else is there—usually lots and lots and lots of garbage and little lily pad type things—to the surface. The garbage and the vegetation is thrown back into the water (which really isn’t smart because sooner or later they just end up catching it all over again) and the whole process is over. Some men invited me up on their dock and let me get a closer look, take pictures, etc. As I went to leave they informed me that their catch wasn’t a good one so I needed to pay them each money. They asked for 480 rupees, which was so ridiculous so I told them I could give them 20 rupees. I don’t think they were very happy with me but oh well. Im not very happy with people who try to scam me so I guess we were even. :)


















The men insisted I hold the net but as you can see I felt a little weird about it--mostly because I had just seen the handle get plastered with fish guts from the hands of the man who was now touching my camera and taking this picture. Yes, I had a bit of a germaphobic moment and yes, I am totally owning it. Blahhhh.




I spent the evening exploring more of the shops and town. There is so much to see and take in here that I was entertained for hours. I literally had to stop somewhere and buy pants though, it is significantly hotter here then it is in Tamil Nadu right now and I was sweating bad enough that my skirt and my legs were not getting along at all: aka I was getting a rash from my legs rubbing together when I walked.  Believe it or not I wasn’t in much of a shopping mood, but I automatically felt better about shopping as soon as it was something I actually needed. I've noticed that when interact with the locals it's obvious that they just see me as another light skinned tourist. I can't blame them for that because duh, (that really doesn't need any further explanation) but it is always entertaining for me to see the change in how they deal with me from when they initially meet me and make that judgement and then eventually realize that I am living in India right now and know a thing or two about what prices certain things should cost or that I know when they are totally trying to swindle me, etc. I called a few shop owners out on it and as soon as I told them I was living in Tamil Nadu and I wasn’t just another tourist, they were pretty good at adjusting prices for me on the couple of things I did get. Some of the other volunteers have taken to calling me “The Bulldog” when it comes to shopping and bargaining prices. I've earned that name from not only bargaining for myself but also for others that are with me. I love haggling because it's such a fun challenge--I see it as a kind of game.

Ironically, I had a hard time finding food again tonight. Not that there weren’t plenty of options, it was just that most of them involved fish. After striking out numerous times, I found this little café that ended up being pretty yummy. The ambiance of the café made up for the lack of “ridiculously” yummy food.  Plus, I got a seat right nest to the bug zapper so I’d say dinner was a success.