Monday, December 8, 2014

My Turn

I made another hospital trip today--only this time I was a patient. I woke up with a bunch polka dots/hives all up and down my body this morning. Dr. Susan decided it was an allergic reaction-most likely to the antibiotics Ive been taking for my sinus infection. It felt like an allergic reaction so as much as I didn't want to make the drive I knew it was necessary. It was a good thing I did though because it had gotten quiet a bit worse by the time we reached the hospital. I think I may have shocked the Dr. some because I took my leggings off in front of him to show him the hives and how they were moving up my body. I still had my garments on though so really there wasn't much visible but he was acting like I took off my whole top and then tried to motor boated him. It was a little weird. I figured that with being a doctor he would want but not only that-that he would NEED-to see the reaction and I didn't think to much of showing him my knees because he is a freaking doctor but it was a little awkward. It made me chuckle a bit-which I am positive helped nothing but I couldn't help it. The good news is that with the right med combination things have calmed down though. But yes, now I have more meds. For another two to three weeks. The worst part is I am not allowed to go to medical for the next two to three weeks while I am taking said meds so I'm really disappointed about that but what do you do. I had to laugh because one of the meds they gave me was Atarax, which is a med we would give kids for sedation at the dental office. Apparently in the right doses it isn't a sedative and is more of an antihistamine/steroid for allergic reactions-or something of that sort. Medicine is so fascinating to me--western, eastern, whatever kind.

Every other Monday any needing kids go to the hospital for more specialized check ups, follow up appointments etc. This meant I had some little buddies to chill with today. There was a lot of waiting, which lead to group bejeweled marathons, playing with other patient's, some TV watching, reading, etc. The company was nice.



 I promise they were all happy about their high score....



Just for familiarity sake


 And one of the many alters/prayer & donation spots for Gods through out the hospital


Jaikartick was particularly buddy buddy with me today. He is so freaking adorable that I didn't mind that in the least bit. At one point when we were waiting, he was watching TV while I was reading when he reached his little arm over, rubbed my back/neck for a minute and then went back to watching TV. It was incredibly sweet. And that is just another example of why I am having a hard time choosing which child to sponsor-because I am in love with all of them and am finding it next to impossible to choose just one or just two for that matter. Decisions decisions.



On a more interesting note, the hospital we go to is Sri Ramachandra Medical Center. It is a huge hospital/campus because it is also a medical college. We walked around and into so many different parts of it today that I started to see what looked like repeating buildings. I asked Abarna why they seemed to have multiple of the same buildings to which she said they were different according to what patients are treated where-meaning they have multiple pediatric wards, but the pediatric ward in this building is for the kids or family members of politicians and movie stars (aka people with money), where this one over yonder is for poorer people. I don't know enough to know why they have it divided that way-maybe at one time it had something to do with the caste system and so those rules are still in place even though there is no longer an official caste system? Who knows-but I was in awe of it and really annoyed with it all at the same time.