Friday, December 26, 2014

Kerala Day 1

The morning started out with me I throwing up while hanging my head out the window as Kalidass and I were driving down the main freeway into Chennai. It was not one of my best moments ever. He was able to pull over (ironically about the time that I stopped puking), so I was able to get out and rinse out my mouth at least. I turned to water down the side of the car but Kalidass wouldn’t have it. He was pretty insistent on me leaving the puke and letting him clean it up once he got back to campus. I realize he was being extra kind and I did appreciate it, however I was still super embarrassed to say the least. I was off one of my hormone pills for a couple of weeks because it took a while to get some new ones, but I finally got some and have starting taking them again. The only catch is that I have felt so sick ever since I started taking them again. I think it is just my body getting use to the different level of hormones—and even though it is back to the level is should be—it hasn't been the easiest transition. I’ve jokingly started referring to it as my morning sickness because if I didn’t know better I would think I was pregnant based on my symptoms. :)

The flight was quick and to the point, and I was met by a Marriott Hotel shuttle, which was the nicest shuttle I have ever been in. They had an LED board that the driver was holding up. It didn’t have my name because as the driver informed me, “Not all of our guests want to be identified". I guess that makes sense, if they are actors or dignitaries, but to me and my world it just made me laugh. Anyway, the taxi: this thing had its own WIFI, waters, mints, refreshing towels, etc. I can honestly say I never rode in a car with WIFI before and who would thing that the first time I did, it would be in the middle South Western India.


I used the WIFI to call Mila, who told me that she did have her baby (!!!! YEAAAAA) but unfortunately it was kinda of traumatic, ending in an emergency c-section and her little boy shacked up in the NICU. It kills me not to be there for them right now. If only I could have the best of both worlds.  :(

The pampering begin the second I walked into the Marriott. I was greeted by several staff and a chilled watermelon mint drink that was incredibly yummy. Turns out this hotel opened on Dec. 21st---that was Monday. Today is Friday. Its not even a week old and it shows in how fancy and tricked out everything is. Everything in my room is controlled with high tech buttons and swiveling this an bluetoothed that. Okay maybe not the blue tooth part but the fact of the matter is it is freaking sweet! And the bed is absolutely heavenly. I have been debating just chilling in my room while I am at the Marriott, and although it is VERY tempting, I do think I would regret it later on. Of course the shower is top notch and there is a huge shopping mall about 100 meters away from the hotel too. And just in case I can’t bring myself to walk over there, they have a complementary shuttle that will take me to and from. There are a lot of bells and whistles to say the least. I think I’ll be able to deal with this for a few days. :)

After settling in some, I walked over to the mall to see what I can do about my computer, but mostly just to wander around some. It really is the little things that make me happy, like being able to wander around a mall (by myself even!) without having to worry about who is where and how much time is left until we have to leave. Things are not looking so positive as far as my computer goes, but I did find some yummy and safe restaurants—and a makeup store I've been needing to go to. They wanted to do a make over on me so I let them (because why not!?! I had all the time in the world!) and it was okay until we got to the mascara. They used this nasty clumpy gel mascara on me that left me with what looked like a total of 8 huge eyelashes on each eye. I literally had tarantula eyes. It was NASTY. They couldn’t figure out why I didn’t like it and were mystified that I didn’t buy any. The mascara combined with the blue eyeliner they put on made me look like I belonged in the nearest red light district. It was an adventure to say the least. 

Oh and here is the inside of my nose too. 


I wiped off the eyeliner as soon as I could but the mascara was a beast to get off!


I had several members of the hotel staff recommend I try their Marriott Burger (hamburger). I was a little skeptical because I have never been 100% impressed with any of the hamburgers I have eaten in India. They are good but not excellent, and the last couple have made me question if India is really the place to try to get a good hamburger anyway. But this burger hit the spot. So much so that I even finished it all! It was as American as a hamburger can get, with lots of cheddar cheese, onions, ketchup, etc. I definitely left my table as one full and happy American. I finished off the night talking to Lindsey and the boys and watching television (cable even!) while being swallowed up by my fluffy bed. Again, it’s the simplest things that make me happy. I’ve decided life is so much better when you are easily entertained.