Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bindi


I wore my first bindi (sparkling forehead decoration) today. I honestly just thought it was for decoration, and I have never been one to argue with sparkling decorations anywhere on my body so while in India, do as the Indians do right?

The first item on my to do list was stopping by the office to drop off the food order, report some needed repairs, scheduling changes, etc. Before I even got to the office a few of the staff commented on how super my bindi was and at the office Bala, who works in the social work department, asked me if I had meditated. Confused I replied no, and asked him if that was required before putting a bindi on. He said no, (which I was glad to hear because while I didn’t want to be disrespectful, but I also really didn’t want to take my bindi off either) but that wearing a bindi is a form of meditating through out the day. When the bindi is put on it opens up your third eye, (which is located where bindies are worn) something that is also achieved through meditation. This helps your overall comprehension and understanding as well as stress levels. Good to know right? Bindies come in all kinds of different sizes, arrangements and colors but I have yet to learn if there is significance to that as well. There are some very gorgeous bindies. I have decided that I’m going to sport as many as I can while I can.



 Photo courtesy of UKG girl from Perry Matriculation School in Tamil Nandu, India. Assisted by Ashley Ward, who never actually let go of her camera because that would just be stupid.