Thursday, July 31, 2014

. PARTY


This evening at story time I was in one of the older girls room. They didn’t want a story so we were quietly talking instead. Maurine, one of the volunteers, was in there. She has been going to this room for reading time for a while now so she told one of the girls to show me her photo album. Imagine my surprise when the girl presented her photo album and the cover reads “My Period Party.”

Say what?

It was for reals though. Like really real. As we looked through the album I was amazed at what I saw. Apparently it is normal for girls in this region to a get a huge party thrown for her when she starts her period. There are banners made and professional photographers hired to take model shots of the girl dressed up in her first saree and other traditional jewelry. There is a religious ceremony that involves burning incense and painting different marks on the girls face, and a big feast. All the girls family and friends are invited to come, and come they do, bearing gifts of hygienic items such as soaps and deodorant. Some of the other girls in the room had Period Party Photo albums too, but they had left theirs at home. And of course there were other girls that really wanted to have a Period Party photo album but hadn’t been "lucky" enough to have reason to have one yet. The ones that were waiting were so excited to get their period so they can get have their Period Party too. It was all so fascinating to me—I’m sitting there trying to look at all the gorgeous pictures and trying to put together in my mind how it is culturally acceptable to have a party for the beginning of menstruation, but a total no no for boys and girls to interact when the girls interrupted my thoughts with, “What do you guys do when you start your period?” I kind of giggled and said “Oh nothing really. We do not have parties like this in America.” They were floored. “You don’t do anything at all?” and all I could say to that was “well some families may do something special but we as a culture don’t openly celebrate when someone starts their period.” I don’t think they liked that answer but it was really all I had. If I remember right, all I got was a pat on the shoulder, maybe a congratulations and a maxi pad the size of an Idaho potato. Which was fine because I would have been mortified had there been a huge party in honor of my newly found womanhood. I was terrified to even change a panty liner in the school bathroom because I couldn’t bear the thought of other people hearing the wrapper and knowing I was in need of these products. I would be lying if I didn’t feel a little gipped though. I mean—maybe I should of gotten a nice dinner or gift of deodorant from my extended family. Obviously, in this instance, I was the one living the deprived life! I’m still trying to come to terms with it, but I’ll make it through somehow. One thing is for sure though—my girls are getting some kind of a period party. Maybe not a whole village/neighborhood to do, but defiantly more then a huge maxi pad.   



(And of course I am not going to tell you who's pictures I was looking at!)