Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Special Delivery (And no, I am not announcing anything)


Every Saturday night the children watch a movie projected on a screen set up in the dining hall. Movie night is best described as interesting. They rotate watching Tamil movies and English movies, but it doesn’t really matter what language the movie is in because the acoustics are horrible and there are always at least a couple dozen kids whispering all while the house mother’s phones ring and then they randomly call out different children’s names so they can come talk to their parents. The standards of what is okay to let the children watch is different too. One week we watch a movie that was EXTREAMLY violent and showed a suicide, but then another week we watched Frozen and the children were absolutely not allowed to watch the kiss at the end-they made someone cover the projector lens and everything. One of the little boys I was sitting with during Frozen leaned over to me and asked if in America we really have little rocks that turn into trolls. He was also really disturbed that a carrot was used for Olaf’s nose. I love movie night though. It is just another fun way to spend time with the kids and definitley entertaining, the entertainment just rarely comes from the actual movie being shown—or I mean “watched”.  

The Saturday night before Father’s Day they were watching the Hobbit—ironic because Dad use to read us that book when we were little. I’m always a tangled ball of feelings around this time of the year anyway, but this night was particular hard for me on top of being super tiered so I got up to leave the movie early and immediately Maria, one of the 3rd Standard girls (who I think looks WAY younger then 3rd standard), stood up and grabbed my hand saying “Auntie, Auntie come sit with me!” I told her I was tiered and going to bed, so she replied “Oh yeah, I’m really tiered too. Will you walk me back to my hostel?” I said yes, so off we went, walking to the hostel, hand in hand of course. When we got to the hostel, I told her good night and she started up the stairs, but then she abruptly stopped, turned around, ran back down to me, wrapped her arms around my neck, kissed my cheek and said “Goodnight Auntie! I love you!” and then started running back up the stairs. I got this huge smile on my face and I’m pretty sure my heart grew three sizes. It was EXACTLY what I needed that night, perfectly timed and everything. I honestly feel like she was on a little errand from Aunt Anne or Dad (maybe both?) and I was totally okay with that. They picked the perfect little messenger.
            I didn’t have my camera on me but I ended up playing with she and her friends during playtime the next day so I snapped a few pictures then—Maria is the one in the yellow. They kept saying that they wanted me to take a picture of them saying roar, but every time I went to do it they would just stand there. So it took a few times, but we finally got it. Don’t even try to tell me you aren’t smiling right now.