Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mamallapuram

Here is my visual ode to Mamallapuram, which is sometimes called Mahabalipuram-a lot of the cities here have two different names. It isn't confusing at all.

Anyway, so far Mamallapuram has been the most frequently visited "rest" location for us. We were planning to go elsewhere this past weekend but the nurses decided that they want to go back there so what do you do. I am lucky in the sense that I get to go see the different things numerous times so whatever.

I have been reading this book about Hindu Gods. It is hard to keep everything straight, but I'm pretty sure the blue one below is Shiva. Either way, I try to walk by this shrine every time I am in Mamallapuram simply because it is so unique and beautiful. And it has a ton of lily pads everywhere--this pic doesn't quiet do it justice though--the full view of the whole length is awesome.  There are lily pads for what seems like forever.



Rock carving is HUGE in Mamallapurum. It is very entertaining to watch. I blows my mind every single time, whether it is a small carving or a life size one. It is seriously something else. One thing I have found very interesting is that there is quiet the variety of genitalia/erotic/naked people/naked gods carvings. The fact that they exist doesn't surprise me as much as the fact that they are acceptable in this culture that is so huge on virtue, modesty and honor. I think I have mentioned this before but the boys and girls are not even allowed to sit on the same side of the room as each other. What culture can write the Karma Sutra and carve threesome statues but then also enforce a very strict social code of conduct that includes not being able to mention sex or even attraction or dating for that matter. It is a total mystery to me.
  




Because Mamallapuram is a hot spot for tourist, there are a lot of different shops. However, venders usually sit all over the sidewalks to sell their goods as well. You can find anything crafty or touristy, or simple everyday goods like flowers for your hair, safety pins, soap, kitchen ware, etc.--BUT you have to bargain hard and be willing to walk away otherwise you will get screwed on the price of whatever it is you are buying. It is a fun little game for the most part, but there are sometimes when I get sick of it too.



One of Mamallapuram's downfalls is that there are tons of down on their luck people that are either selling stuff or flat out begging--specifically children and older ladies with infants. I hear that sometimes mothers will rent out their child to a beggar for a day as long as they get a portion of whatever is earned. I understand their circumstance and know that it is hard, but I still hate it. Every time I see it makes me think of Slumdog Millionaire and my heart hurts a bit.



What usually happens is we spend part of the day walking around and exploring the ruins and the city, and the other part at a resort that has it own pool as well as private beach access to the Bay of Bengal. I'm still waiting to go to the beach and not have angry waves, but even just laying with a towel on the sand is nice too. You can pay someone to take you out on one of the Asian looking fishing boats--which I need to try soon. I brought my snorkel gear to India, so hopefully I can use it here sometime--I honestly don't even know if snorkeling is even a thing in the Bay of Bengal, but until I hear a definite no I'm keeping my fingers crossed.





And that my friends, is Mamallapurum in a nutshell. Although I am sure there will be more posts about this place since we are frequent visitors.