Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Adventures of Session #1


This session has come to a close and it has been really hard for me! I know there will be many great sessions to come (like next session when Tregani comes-but mostly because I have named the group Supergirls) but if I am honest I really questions if we will be lucky enough to have such a diverse yet perfectly balanced group like this again. 

I have been struggling to write this because there are so many things I want to include. But most of it falls into the category of attitude. They had stellar attitudes. On the way home from church one Sunday, the car broke down. Our driver (Rajenduran—who is an Indian Santa Clause complete with the most warming smile and twinkle in his eye) pulled over at a service station and there was a lot of waiting-----in a hot van. I was mentally prepping myself to cheer up the group the best I could, but it was unnecessary because they took matters into their own hands and started playing Big Booty which, quickly changed to Big Buddha because it makes more sense to play big Buddha while in India. There were laughs, rapping and so many memories made from what could have been a big complain fest.
Games was a huge part of this session—Banana Grams happened unhealthy amounts of time, with games of scum, (American and Canadian versions), Nertz, spoons, Crystal In and MOW laced in between. There were a few movie nights, lots of muumuu wearing  (muumuu’s actually rock! Yes I’m being serious, more of this later) and a full night of “Bea talk” where everyone talked about their love life (or lack there of), tons of laughs and even more bonding.  We should be getting internet back about half way through the next session. It will be interesting to see if the bonding time diminishes once we are “connected” again. 

It wasn’t all fun and games though. The work took highest priority and even though I wasn’t able to go out with them on their regular rotations, I heard so many positive things, from volunteers, coordinators and other staff members. I did get to go to playtime with them on most days, and seeing them interact with the kids was awesome. They fit right in. We had two volunteers who were incredibly talented soccer players. They did a soccer camp for the older kids over the three-ish weeks they were here. We had another volunteer who is a science teacher at home, she along with another volunteer sacrificed their evenings to help tutor the students who have night classes. We did have some sickness—India tends to do that to you. Sean, our favorite Canadian of the group was super sick for a couple of days. We think he got some kind of parasite or something. He was such a trooper though out all of it though. I now know that I am not the best of telling temperatures simply by placing my hand on someone’s forehead, and that David won’t always back you up when you call the nurses late at night because you both agreed that the fever had gotten worse. Ironically, Dr. Susan had called David an angelic cherubim about an hour before he threw me under the bus. Angelic my eye. J Madeline’s blood sugar was going crazy through out most the session but especially on the last day so we took a little field trip to the hospital in Chennai. When we were in the ER I was pretty sure there was a dead man on the gurney across the hall. They brought out the white sheet and everything, but then decided to transfer him to a different gurney and take him into surgery. The white sheet was there to remake the bed he was laying on. That was probably their plan all along but it didn’t look that way from across the hall. I love the buzz of hospitals. They are so fascinating to me. I would like to work in one someday, but first things first, I need to learn how to tell temperatures with my hand.







Of course there were the regular reminders of cleaning up this and that, but overall the volunteers would see something that needed to be done and simply do it. There was no backbiting, very little complaining and a lot of willingness to adapt to whatever was happening. One night we had monkeys invading our regular dining area so we had to make an impromptu change to eat on the roof of the volunteer house; with no tables, no chairs, no bug zappers and significantly less light, but they were okay with it. There were also a lot of thunderstorms, which were usually followed by rain. The rain was bad sometimes, and threatened to take out our knee caps and femurs while walking across the tile, but of course, there were volunteers that did yoga/danced in the rain. Which is fitting since that is basically what they did the entire time they were here, they didn’t dwell on or wait for the storms to pass, they chose to dance in the rain. (I can’t take credit for that last saying, I just happen to love it and it fits so perfectly with the group that I just had to use it.)