Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sunday Saree/Sari Day


I’ve been experimenting with these yards of fabric. And that really is what they are, yards and yards of fabric wrapped and safety pinned into place. It is like the clothing version of origami. I didn’t know that they were so “simple”. When you buy a Sari/Saree (yes, both spellings are 100% acceptable) there is usually one end of the fabric that is the “top” portion of the fabric aka the part you make the blouse out of. It is acceptable to wear them always, no matter what you day entails—but one of the other volunteers and I have been trying to wear them on Sundays. It is our way to “dress up” for church. Luckily for me there are ways to wrap them that don’t expose your stomach or for me my angel undies (my garments), but I am eons away from being able to do it myself. I honestly question if I will ever get there. Thank heavens for the housemothers and other staff members that willingly help origami challenged little white girls such as myself.


The first time we attempted Sari Sunday I was basing my decision off the ornateness of the fabric alone. The heat factor didn’t even cross my mind—until I had it on and was about an hour into the two-hour bus ride to church. I also had the crazy idea of doing my hair scrunchy/curly-ish. It was very clean to start with but the combination of sweat and scrunchy resulted in more of a greasy drowned rat sort of a look. Lesson learned I guess. I was going to try again this last Sunday but I wasn’t feeling so hot so I stayed home from church. Apparently my body needed to sleep for an additional eight hours during the day. Go figure. However in preparation for the many coming Sunday I’ll spend in India, I bought a much lighter summer specific fabric slab that was made into my first official sari. Wearing that sari was infinitely more fun then the other saree. Whenever I wear my saree (the lighter fabric one) all the staff and children and people at church, etc. comment on how I am a true Indian. To that I always point to my skin and then we all end up laughing. I’m a “true” India minus my albinism. Just that one little thing…….




This doesn't really have to do with Sarees but along the lines of Indian clothing, some of the pants we are suppose to wear have REALLY tight ankles and legs. My dad had large calves, and unfortunately I inherited them so that has been a little problematic. I wish I would of brought more leggings. My larger then usual calves would be very grateful for estretchy pants.